Wednesday, February 29, 2012

By: Anonymous

The best thing about being away from home is the anonymity.
I am currently on vacation, and this morning I woke up late - at about 7.45, and I had to leave the house by about 8. Generally speaking, that wouldn't have been so big a deal (I once caught a bus 5 minutes after I woke up), but last night I went to bed with my hair wet. Coupled with the fact that I cut my hair about two weeks ago and now it is not heavy enough to straighten itself, I awoke with a glorious halo/bird-nest coiffure.
At first I was distressed. There was little to no time to fix my appearance, and what would I do, and now my life was ruined, and there goes any reputation I had of being put-together, and ---- then it hit me. I was in the unique but now very useful situation of having absolutely no reputation. Nobody knew who I was, and nobody ever would.
So here I am, very confident in the fact that I will never see any of these people again. Now I can walk down the streets of this town with my head held high, no longer averting my eyes for shame. I am nobody!
"Heh, heh," I say to myself.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! That reminds me of how I always felt in Italy. Especially during the times when I carried random things from the church to our apartment (vacuum cleaners, crock pots, trash bags..) I would always be like, "I can't believe I am doing this...I must look ridiculous." Then I would remember, "oh yeah. And I know absolutely no one, and no one gives a crap about me!" :) But then it would get a little awkward during the times when we would run into some of our students...

    ReplyDelete